Monday, March 19, 2012

Why am I afraid of an industry job?

So, I've started to explore my options a little bit. I know that I will be able to stay in my current lab only until the end of the year.

Plan of action:
  1) Wait to hear if my fancy K award is likely to be funded (followed by groveling as I scrounge up a way to keep eating until the checks arrive
  2) Apply for another, less cool K award. Employ same strategy as above
  3) Explore industry options.

Wait! Why does that last one feel odd to me? Why does it give me pause? Is it the unknown? I can't say I really have a good understanding of all the possibilities industry has for me.... I would make more money, have less stress, and might even get to spend more time with my family than I would as a tt-prof. Although I think that last one is a moot point - some things, like seeing my children grow up, are not worth giving up just to get tenure. I would never (or so I tell myself) sacrifice my family. Basically, I share the same fears Harry Chapin did (see below).



Maybe part of it is that I feel like a failure if I give up and go industry. But why? The work isn't any less rewarding, is it? And it's not like many academic researchers ever get to truly see their work become translational.

So, what is it? Morality, perhaps? I've always held that running a lab is essentially the same thing as running a business. Instead of profits, you pursue grants. But is still the same. Chasing the money, and yet I view academia as more... pure?

But hell, I've only been sniffing around a couple of places and they seem downright excited to talk to me. They feel that I can contribute NOW, and are thrilled that I might join them. And this from informational interviews. I haven't even begun to look....

Or I can do another postdoc and try getting a real job in 2-3 years.

Methinks I may have some serious introspection coming my way.



 

10 comments:

  1. I worked in industry. And it was great. But I also went through the Five Stages of Mourning Academia while in grad school, so I was already over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny part is that I've worked in industry, too. Granted, it was a different industry, but it had a certain rhythm I could get used to.

      One problem I had with my previous stint in industry was that I didn't see the value in what I did - I didn't feel like I was creating something for the greater good. This time around I would be in biotech/biomed/pharma, so it should be much easier to see the value of my work. But I'll have to stay conscious of my feelings to make sure that I continue to see the value.

      Delete
  2. Wandering Scientist seems to be pretty happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And in the end, isn't that what we all want? To be happy doing something of value?

      Delete
  3. Katie seems to enjoy industry as well.

    I think the value is something that is an "academic" struggle. Being an academic is pure and good and noble. Doing anything else with our degrees, seems less than. There's a great deal of pressure to stay/be in academia. Even as a non-scientisit, I struggle with the idea of having any value in my work if I leave, even though leaving might present me with other options (as you've indicated). It'll take some soul searching, but if you put aside the academic value, can you see value in the *right* industry job?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the key to my happiness is to find value in what I do. That isn't necessarily a requirement for everyone, but I think I've always known that it was essential to me.

      Even when I was doing menial jobs (I've had a ton of those), I considered it a part of a greater plan. Part of the path to whatever my goal was.

      Bottom line- I can totally see value in the "right" industry job. The trick, for me, is to identify what that job might be. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh and thanks for the link - I hadn't read minor revisions. I'll add it to my night-time reading.

      Delete
    3. That makes total sense. Value is important to me too. Value and meeting new people. I took an office job once where there was no opportunity to meet new people unless someone got hired. Most had been there years. New people is what I love about teaching--it's a guarentee. And you're welcome. I'm sure when things are going better for Katie, you could ask her about her experiences, she's great.

      Delete
  4. My long term goals are to be in academia but be involved in technology commercialization and collaborate with industry. Entertaining lofty goals a bit, I'd like to spin off a few companies from an academic lab. Unpure? Perhaps.

    I think it's important to note that "meaningful" is different to each person. Some people can do basic research that won't reach clinics until 15-20 years later, but it is meaningful to them and they are superstars at it. Others like to be on the front end and try to get the latest blockbuster through a clinical trial, and seeing something hit the market is meaningful to them. We need people at all stages of the pipeline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree that the definition of the word "meaning" is different for each person. I think that the key for job happiness (at least in a firstworld problem kinda way) is to find meaning in what you do.

      Some say follow your passion. I'd argue that it's the same thing.

      As for the specific nature of my "dream job..." It's a work in progress. I have a sense of what won't work and a sense of what I need for other positions to work. And yet I still hesitate....

      Delete