Monday, June 18, 2012

So Speaketh the NIH

Based on my K99 score, it appears that an academic career will be an uphill battle, at best. They ain't gonna fund this puppy. I can't say that the news was particularly shocking to me (I've written enough grants to have been concerned about my application), but it's still deflating to me.

I don't know why, especially since my private desire after receiving my PhD was to enter industry. Maybe it's because I felt that people (advisers, family, friends) wanted me to be a professor. That it held some sort of cache.... But I suspect the real heart of it is that I haven't the slightest idea how to get a job anymore. I know the academic system backwards and forwards, and know all the potential pitfalls I could fall in during early career stages. But industry remains a bit of an enigma to me.

What does the job market look like for a 5+ year postdoc? What kind of jobs are available? What do these positions actually do? Once I find a job posting that fits how do I get past HR? What are they looking for in a candidate? What is the best way to leverage my professional network?

Today starts the official restart of my job search. And I am feeling more than a little anxious. Deep breathing is helping a little, but I still feel waves of uncertainty. Is it possible to suffer from impostor syndrome before you even have a job?  In the meantime, I think it's time to find better stress management techniques and choke back this feeling of being overwhelmed. 'Cause what I'm doing right now ain't exactly helping my situation any....

4 comments:

  1. Best of luck to you. It seems to me a lot of it is luck. I would suggest going for as many conferences and workshops as you can manage. Also try applying to the big pharmaceuticals in the northeast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement - I've been feeling kinda down in the dumps for the past week or so. I think that the biggest problem is that I hate luck - it feels so... arbitrary. My ideal plan is to position myself in such a way as to maximize my chances at "being lucky," but I haven't quite figured out what tack to take.

      I am planning on attending some conferences/workshops this summer, but I'm a little worried that they are heavy on academic contacts and light on job leads. I'll do the best I can, but it's hard to get a feeling on whether or not my name is getting noticed outside of my subfield (I should mention that I am known to some well-known luminaries, but most of them have a focus on advancing academic careers). I'll try hitting them up for industry advice, but I'm not convinced it will be fruitful....

      I agree with your somewhat targeted approach to industry applications, but I'm also expanding out to the biotech sector. Pharma R/D feels a bit constricting and/or limiting to me. I happen to be in the Northeast and have been sending out applications, but I'm struggling to get past the gatekeepers. I'll keep at it, but I think I have a lot to learn before I become successful. Which is why I'm glad I have a verbal offer for a 2nd postdoc - it'll give me time to practice....

      Delete
  2. Wandering Scientist has a good post today about going into industry. http://www.wandering-scientist.com/2012/06/breaking-into-industry.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link! I'm gonna have to read this later, after the kids stop tearing the house apart...

      Delete