Monday, July 16, 2012

New job!!!

I've made my decision and it feels sssssoooooo good to finally pull the trigger!

I decided to stay local, not only because it makes things MUCH easier at home, but also because I think it'll help me down the road. It is a bit divergent from my background, but my hope that this will broaden my experiences and make me more marketable in the future. Most likely the future will be industry, but in theory this position could lead to a  new biological focus for an academic lab if things end up right and I decide to go in that direction....

My PI is already discussing a small grant I can apply for (that has the goal of setting up a fledgling independent investigator at the institution), I spent about an hour chatting with HR (they were actually helpful and positive....), and everyone is very excited to see me join them. While it's "only" a postdoc, it sure feels nice to be wanted :)>

In any case, I'm riding the waves of endorphins (is there such a thing as a job-hunter's high?) and really looking forward to the next chapter in my career. In the meantime, I'll buckle down and try to finish writing up my current story. And try not to smile too much while working....

Tee-hee!

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! Although I forgot how much paperwork is involved in getting a new job - I need to fill out over 5MB of forms before my drug screening....

      Delete
  2. Congrats!! I def think there's a high _after_ landing the job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My goal now is to keep the good vibes going. Shouldn't be too tough since I'm a positive person, but the job market for my next step is giving me pause...

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks and I'm routing for you and your job search. I wish my situation had led to a more permanent solution (I'm sure you can relate....), but I'm happy with my decision. At the very least the benefits package may allow us to save up a bit of money.

      Delete
  4. Congrats!! Sometimes things work out nicely -- enjoy the high!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's gonna be even better if my career strategic planning is correct (broadening to become more marketable). Although I shouldn't really second-guess myself too much - I tend to have good instincts. :)

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! That high is a great feeling! Here's to hoping to stays around for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding! Especially because I've been feeling the other side of happiness a little too much lately. Apparently uncertainty and I do not get along....

      Delete
  6. Yay!! This post reminds me the feeling I got when, after being unemployed for 3 months, I accepted a position I now really enjoy. The job search (and life in general) is filled with ups and downs...the downs are necessary to make times like these so awesome (cheesy as that sounds, it's true!). But seriously, you can't move up and accomplish stuff without going through some periods of discomfort or uncertainty, etc...anyways, sounds like you rode out the tough times and found the light! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you and would go one step further - the journey is more important than the destination. The only problem is that it's so darn hard to look around and enjoy the scenery when you feel like you're gonna drive off the road at any minute.

      Time to channel my inner zen-master....

      Delete