Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Perseverance

It's been awhile since I've given myself a pep talk, and now seems to be a great time for it.

In grad school I felt that the key to success was to keep focused on the goal, and not to be disturbed too much by the challenges along the way. Science is a marathon, not a sprint, and it is far to easy to become distracted by the challenges you encounter. Nothing is insurmountable, and everything worthwhile takes effort. I'm not certain, but I think this still applies for me as I attempt to join others on the tenure track. I have my goal. Now I need to stay on track and do everything in my power to succeed.

To be honest, I know that a lot of things have to line up right for me to get my dream job, but I'd argue most of life is that way. Perhaps the purpose of having a goal isn't so much achieving what you set out to do, but rather starting a journey toward something more meaningful. The true success is enjoying where it takes you and seeing opportunities as they arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment