Thursday, August 23, 2012

Don't feed the animals - they might multiply!

I'm not sure why I'm posting so many political statements lately, but I suppose it may have something to do with the time of year.

Or the fact I can't post it to Facebook 'cause I'm in the middle of a job hunt and wouldn't want to offend any hiring managers. But I digress....

Today's rant/point of emphasis lies with the theory that all people were created equal. And there is no way you can "catch" what they have - all you can do is continue to dehumanize and demean them. Which I suppose might make some people feel better. But to me that just sounds petty, rude, and misguided (to put it lightly)

What pray tell has my ire today? The growing trend of criminalizing the act of helping the poor. Specifically, it is now illegal to feed the homeless in many places of our country. But don't think this is an isolated case - new laws banning the feeding of the poor are being passed across our country as we speak.

Why?

Because lawmakers apparently feel that we might somehow be encouraging them to continue being poor. Like they CHOSE to be homeless, to live off handouts. Although I've been very fortunate in my life, I do know what it is like to go without. And just about everyone I've ever talked to who is homeless is not proud of the situation they are in and would do just about anything they could to improve their lot in life. To contribute to society.

But I suppose that might be part of the problem. I actually take the time to talk to the homeless, to treat them as people.

Maybe people will recognize the idiocy of these laws when nuns start getting arrested....

OK, that last comment was merely inflammatory - violators get tickets and pay fines, not go to prison.....


2 comments:

  1. Hey man. I hope you're doing well. You haven't posted in a while, I just wanted to see how things were going for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for shaking me up a bit - it's been way too long since I've posted... I'll fix that with an update later tonight :)

      Delete