Monday, July 13, 2015

Surprise - you don't have a job here anymore!

Normally, I'm a big fan of surprises. Well, at home, at least. Work surprises, at least in my limited experience, are not good. Here's my latest example:
Sitting in a meeting with my boss, I'm asked "so, does the lab know you're leaving at the end of the month?"
To which I responded "Wait what? I didn't know that yet. I was told not to worry and to wait and see because they were trying to figure something out."
"Oh. They were supposed to send you a letter..."
"I never got anything."
"Oh"
 At 5pm that evening I got an email telling me my services were no longer needed. I had 2 weeks to figure out what the hell I needed to do to finish my papers, coordinate my benefits, and pay my rent. Thanks guys!

Massive HR fail....

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I thought our HR were bad at that sort of stuff... good luck with the next move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HR is bad in a lot of places about getting rid of people. I was laid off at the end of my first job out of college (before grad school) and didn't realize how well they handled the situation until I got older and experienced more of life. In any case, it's a shame that companies do not let people leave with as much dignity as when they started working for them....

      Delete